Grilled Pizza Bread
Prep time: 15 minutes
Grilling time: 15 to 20 minutes
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons ground Mediterranean oregano
1 teaspoon onion powder
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon finely ground red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
3 one-pound balls of pizza dough
Chopped tomatoes, optional
Chopped onions, optional
Chopped fresh basil, optional
1. In a small saucepan, combine the seasoning ingredients. Whisk over low heat just until the oil becomes fragrant and the mixture is warm. Remove from the heat and let rest for 2 hours at room temperature.
2. Lightly flour one of the pizza dough balls and the back of a 15 x 10-inch baking sheet. Stretch out the dough to the size of the baking sheet and place it on the back of the floured baking sheet.
3. Whisk the oil mixture and then generously oil the top side of the dough.
4. Turn the baking sheet (like a big spatula!) with the dough directly onto the cooking grate. Remove the baking sheet and brush the top side of the dough with the seasoned oil. Grill over direct medium heat (350°F to 450°F), with the lid closed, until the underside of the dough is marked, 2 to 3 minutes. Don't worry if the crust bubbles; it will deflate when turned over. Slide the dough onto the baking sheet and flip the uncooked side onto the cooking grate. Brush the top with more oil and continue to grill, with the lid closed, for 3 to 4 minutes.
5. Transfer to a cooling rack. Top with chopped tomatoes, chopped onions, and fresh basil, if desired. Cut into individual pieces. Repeat grilling procedure for the 2 remaining balls of dough. Serve warm.
Makes 12 to 15 servings
Recipe and photo, courtesy of Weber.com